I actually heard back from Michael today, which was a bit unexpected. He’s set to leave for Sundance tomorrow, so maybe he wanted to get this out to me before he left. Regardless, I appreciated it.
He agreed that this outline was getting closer to the story we needed to tell, but it still wasn’t right. This king of back and forth is new to me. And hearing “still think we need to take it to the next level before you get to scripting” doesn’t mean much to me. So I shifted into Business Analyst mode and started gathering requirements.
I pressed Michael for some more information. If I wasn’t putting together what he’s looking for, then he needed to steer me a bit more in the direction I needed to go. I sent over a set of questions, framed so they were really just looking for his opinion and vision, and heard back from him a bit later.
He thought the first act doesn’t have enough of the main character in it. This was something that I kinda felt to, so it was good to hear it from a second source. Now I know it’s something I need to fix.
While I’ve seen all of the movies he suggested as research, many of them several times, he indicated that he wants more of the tone that “Scream” hits than other slasher films like “Halloween” or “I Know What You Did Last Summer.” Aside from some of the “wink wink nod nod” things to classic horror movies, “Scream” was just a smart take on the genre. So I’ll take his suggestion that I watch it again and really pay attention to how some of the major beats are set up.
Finally, Michael suggested what I thought was a really good idea. He mentioned going back to his original script and putting together a beat sheet for it. While the writing is terrible, the structure is actually quite good, and I remembered noticing that when I read it. With the beat sheet laid out, I can then start to manipulate it into my vision of the project. I thought that was as good as any other idea for the next outline, so that’s what I started to do.
Since Michael’s out of town for basically the next 5 days, I’ve got plenty of time to put this together. I think we’ve probably got at least another 3 to 5 outlines to tinker with before we get everything down.
I’ll keep you posted on the progress as usual.
Until next time, keep writing!